Thanks so much for your reply and your help.  I installed using legacy boot and
it worked fine -- in fact, I'm responding from "untrusted firefox" right now!
I don't know if qubes comes up in the grub menu yet.  I just got this
installed, and ran it from the BIOS boot sequence Legacy-USB option,  and I'm
off for some errands myself.

However, in lieu of killing myself with UEFI, since this works, I'll stick with
it and am a happy camper.  Maybe in the next week I'll play around more with
UEFI, but I'm going to have to learn a bit more about it, I think.

Anyway, you made my weekend!  Thanks again for your reply.