On Sat, January 27, 2018 11:46 am, code9n wrote:
> Running the WhonixCheck from the default anon-whonix app vm in the Qubes
> manager list; the fail warning basically says:
>
> SocksPort test [fails]. ... (curl exit code: [7] - [failed to connect to
> host])
>
> The browser - anon-whonix app vm (default)/Tor browser - opens like
> normal to the Whonix page but checking the 'check IP' link from there
> won't connect and if I search for https://check.torproject.org the top
> result says I'm not using tor.  I can't connect to .onion sites but
> surface browsing's fine.
>
> Checking the IP address keeps coming back to the same one in Germany even
> if I reload / change Identity / reboot. (I'm not in Germany).
>
> It persists over cold re-boots.
> I've tried making a new anon-whonix app vm with the same results.
> Everything has been fine since install - maybe 6 months ago.
> All updates are up to date including the recent tor browser update to 7.5
> (64 bit).

In Qubes Manager/System/Global settings, make sure your Default netVM is
set to sys-whonix.

I can't explain the Germany IP though. Do you have a VPN or ProxyVM set up
somewhere in the mix?

> yzxd on the sub reddit (Thanks, yzxd) had a similar problem on non-Qubes
> Whonix and solved it by "going into the Gateway VM, stopping Tor, opening
> the folder named "Tor Data" and deleting all the files inside, and
> finally restarting Tor".
>
> But I see from issue #1137 the Qubes team deliberately made that
> persistent:
>

> https://github.com/Whonix/qubes-whonix/commit/a9f24f5d0b700a0cd710e52eb17
> 0875d635c22a9
>

> so I'm wary to mess with that.
>
> Would that be likely to work in this instance?  Or Does anyone have any
> ideas for a fix or would just re-installing the entire Whonix system
> following:
>

> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/whonix/install/
>

> be better...?

Re-installing the whole Whonix system or even Qubes might be the best
approach if you can't figure out where that Germany IP is coming from.