On Sunday, January 28, 2018 at 3:17:05 AM UTC+1, Jo wrote:
> hello guys,
>
> i played a bit with rc3 and came across the following bugs:
>

> qvm-backup/restore results in a complete system-shutdown, which is very
> annoying.Using the gui/ qubes-manager instead of the terminal makes no
> difference.
>
> I will have a look into it/ try to fix it in my spare time these days.
>
> So far, it looks like its related to fedora-26 templates(both minimal
> and regular ), but appears only with certain templates i have.
>
> Could be coincidence, tough.
>

> qvm-sync appmenus removes the menu-entrys systemtools, logut, launch
> terminal emulator etc.
>
> Logging out/back in does not solve the problem temporally, like in the past.
>
> Couldnt find a solution/workaround so far, nore was i able to pin down
> exactly what triggers this bug.
>

> For any hints id be grateful, since im already setting up my new system
> for 4.0 stable.
>

> btw, have the disp-vm commands changed? qvm-create is not recognized
> anymore.
>
> cheers.

- Are you running the backup through an AppVM? Doing backup in dom0 may cause
bugs or be really slow. I believe this is involved in the python/admin code in
Qubes 4, and is therefore different than it was in Qubes 3.2. So in Qubes 4, be
sure to do it in an AppVM, freshly made in Qubes 4. The general idea I believe
is to allow to network the backup process, that's why it was made to work in an
AppVM. No attention was given to allow backup in dom0 here, probably on purpose
since nothing should be done in dom0 anyway.

- Is the template/AppVM you're using specifically to run the backup based on a
Qubes 4 template/AppVM? While Qubes 3.2. AppVM's can work in Qubes 4, it's
generally my experience that they are more buggy/slow, and work better if
re-made in Qubes 4 and then transfer the files over. Personally I took no
chances and purged all my Qubes 3.2. templates/AppVM's in favour for fresh
Qubes 4 ones. Removing Qubes 3.2. templates is obvious due to likely code
differences in the qubes-core-agent-* packages, etc., but the AppVM is more
controversial without confirmation and based on anecdotal experience. Generally
I experienced improvements by purging Qubes 3.2. AppVM's in favour for freshly
Qubes 4 made ones.

- Did you update dom0? I've also seen the qvm-create not working, but this only
happens on a buggy install of Qubes 4, typically with python errors on the last
step during first boot when creating default VM-configuarations and networking
VM's. Generally I solved it either by re-install with different UEFI/BIOS
settings, EFI/Grub settings, UEFI/BIOS update, try switch between EFI/Grub boot
methods, loading different drivers.

Generally the most effective method to get Qubes 4 RC-1/2/3 to work on a system
that I had issues with, was to unplug the drive, put it in a machine that works
with Qubes. Then install Qubes, update it fully, and then put it back into the
first machine again. Usually always work for me on any machine that on paper
should support Qubes. Also Grub is easier to do this, as EFI paths can be a
pain to adjust, they change when moving from a machine to another, while Grub
does not change. Also be careful if you install on another machine, might be a
good idea to remove the other drives first, just in case. Also EFI installs on
a machine with existing EFI paths may cause issues.
All in all in short, use Grub is recommended here, and also to unplug other
drives on the install machine you use.

Assuming you did not update dom0 due to the above bug, then once you get it
updated, everything "should" work much, much better.