On Sunday, February 4, 2018 at 12:55:10 AM UTC-5, Tim W wrote:
> On Sunday, February 4, 2018 at 12:25:46 AM UTC-5, awokd wrote:

> > > Well that royally sucks.  Its not as if the build process is only 5-10
> > > mins.  That was 30-45 mins to hit that error.
> > >
> > > looked at the makefile.fedora and it looks like this section.  Does it
> > > look correct  I was wondering if something might change with depeciation
> > > of f25
> >
> > I know, it takes me around 6 hours for a fresh download and full build.
> > Another thing you can try if you're frequently getting download issues
> > (status code 503 is server issue, not missing file) is to build one group
> > of components at a time instead of the full list (which "make qubes"
> > does).
> > If you want to try that instead, do "make help" and look for the list of
> > components towards the end. It's like 10 lines long. Then start copying
> > and pasting them into make, one batch at a time, like "make vmm-xen
> > core-libvirt core-vchan-xen" for the first batch. That way if it fails you
> > don't have to go so far back. Make sure to run them in order.
>
> great idea.  I had done that on templates when working out issues back before
> we all got archlinux building well.  Did not think of if for this.  So far
> this time its still running on the build so hopefully in a few hours I will
> have an iso.  We will see.
>
> After that I think I will start adding in other templates to make a list of
> what works.   As I can leave it to do its thing will not be a big waste of
> time.  I am thinking minimal templates should also work.  Then its onto
> Centos.  I prefer it leaps and bounds over Fedora.  IMO its the ideal dom0 if
> we need to stick to rpm based with its long LTS.  Now with the longer linux
> kernel support it will go great together for a long term stable system
> without having to upgrade.

OK I was able to get a standard build done to iso.  That is standard FC26 +
Strech-Debain + Whonix.

I also successful built standard + minimal of those to iso as well.

Next I will try adding in certain other templates 1 by 1.

A correction on the instructions to build these 4.0 ISOs:

You need significantly more private store drive space in the VM.  I am using a
stand-alone VM FC23 so I have more initial space taken up.  Still with an app
vm its 2x what the old docs recommend as a minimum.

For just the standard build I needed 60gigbyes.

For the standard + minimal 65 gig just barely made it.  Best to have 70 gigs.

My guess if you wanted to build all the non EOL templates for 4.0rc4 if they
all can be built would be 100 gigs.

I will continue to see what will build and the space needed.  My guess is some
laptops especially that are running ssd will not have the drive space to build
depending on what's used up already for your system data.  Looks like I finally
have to add the 1tb Samsung Pro SED SSD in the optical bay for vm user data.

Still not sure what program differences between the full-loaded-template vs
Standard-templates.  For me I would rather manually add the programs I wanted
in each area.  I may try the builds for those so we know if the build or not.

I may also try the last template version to be EOL'd such as fc25 for fedora
etc but that will be last.  Too bad I do not have quad xeons 1000 +gigs of ram
workstations vs the T440 with I7 + 16gig.  I could get these built in 15-30 min
rather than 3 hrs.

In the attachment is the QM showing Build-Qubes VM Size used for at the end of
#make iso with FC26-Standard+FC26-Minimal & Stretch-Standard + Stretch-Minimal
+ Whonix 64309MB

Cheers,

Tim