[Re-titling this sub-thread]

On Tue, February 6, 2018 11:12 am, 'Tom Zander' via qubes-users wrote:
> On Tuesday, 6 February 2018 11:32:07 CET 'awokd' via qubes-users wrote:
>
>> I'm not getting past the first step of:
>>

>> Verify you are cutting through the sys-net VM firewall by looking at
>> its counters (column 2)
>
> Yes, that sounds familiar.
>

> The problem isn't limited to sys-net either, using netcat to listen on
> any port on any (fedora based) appvm I could not get anything to connect
> to those ports. So, for instance, starting netcat on sys-firewall I could
> not connect to it from sys-net. Similarly, listening on a random VM and
> connecting to it from sys-firewall failed too. And I tried a lot of ways to
> convince the iptables to accept it...
>
> I mostly used archlinux templates for appvms, which do not have the qubes
>  networking packages and thus the iptables list is empty. [1] Listening
> there and connecting from it worked fine.
>
> Hope that helps.

I'm using the Debian-9 template, maybe that's why I was able to get
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/firewall/#enabling-networking-between-two-qubes
working first try. Doesn't explain sys-net though which is using it too.

Anyone out there intimate with nft/iptables? My PR went through so the
document is up for grabs again if you want it! (Or please give suggestions
here and I can document it too.)