On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 11:02:21 AM UTC+1, Alex Dubois wrote:
> On Friday, 9 February 2018 09:04:25 UTC, Yuraeitha  wrote:
> > On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 9:25:52 AM UTC+1, Alex Dubois wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am trying to get Windows installed on R4.
> > >
> > > qvm-create win7 --class StandaloneVM --label blue
> > > qvm-prefs win7 | grep virt
> > >   it is pvh
> > > qvm-prefs win7 virt_mode hvm (I suspect doc needs to be updated here)
> > > qvm-start win7 --cdrom=sys-usb:sr0
> > >   I get 4 lines SeaBios, last one being "Probing EDD (edd=off to
> > > disable!... ok" - Screenshot attached.
> > > qvm-ls
> > >   win7 is halted
> > >
> > > I saw ticket https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3055
> > > providing the --cdrom option.
> > >
> > > Am I missing something?
> >
> > Right now "most" things work in Qubes 4, but many of them have one of the
> > multiple of approaches to do the same thing, where some of these multiple
> > approaches are not working. Extra approaches to do the same thing, may have
> > lower priority if it works if done in a different way. These issues will
> > eventually get fixed, it's just a matter for the developers to advance down
> > the list of priorities of fixes.
>
> Yes I know, I'm planning on helping... on a Windows 10 QWT workaround that is
> secure and follow Qubes OS philosophy.
> >
> > For example, sometimes using the terminal is better, while other times the
> > GUI works better. Mostly the terminal works better, but there are cases
> > where the GUI works better than the terminal commands.
> >
> > Your issue might be one of those case, "Especially!" considering the GUI to
> > boot from a CDROM/DVD has been re-made, and the whole admin panel/python
> > code beneath it. So chances are that the GUI works better, since they put
> > focused effort into this GUI tool, and "may" have postponed terminal fixes
> > for later lower priorities.
> >
> > What I recommend is that you shutdown your Win7 VM --> go to the VM's
> > graphical settings --> Advanced tab --> pick the "Boot qube from CDROM"
> > button.
> >
> > Try give it a try, see if it works or not.
>
> I had tried and it was not working, but thanks for the suggestion.
> >

> > If it doesn't work: Then it might be because this feature has an overall
> > lower priority to get fixed compared to other things in Qubes 4 atm.
> > Perhaps other suggestions can find a way to bypass this issue, keep
> > checking this thread over the coming days for anyone posting.
> >
> > Also Qubes 4 will probably not be final release stage before both GUI and
> > terminal works for the most important features. Until then, you have to
> > find work-arounds for things like these.

ah my bad, I did not know that. I tend to just go full speed ahead with the
size of my context in my suggestions if I don't know anything about a persons
existing knowledge. It does from time to time cause big problems if I assumed
wrong, I really need to stop doing that habit ^^;

btw in case you haven't seen it, we currently having a discussion about Win7 in
Qubes-devel https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-devel/tBqwJmOAJ94
In case some of the work-around fixes and issue discussions may have some
useful inputs for the work on Win10 (for example Marek's post is very
insightful), and also the wiki that Ivan made is being used to keep every
confirmed known issues in a single place.