On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 11:20:16 PM UTC+1, lemond...@gmail.com wrote:
> Without support for hardware acceleration of virtual machines, plus needing
> specific hardware compatible with Qubes OS, what kinds of work do you get
> done if Qubes is your main OS on primary PC?
>
> I want to run Davinci Resolve, which is a video editor that runs on Linux,
> but it takes advantage of the discrete GPU, and it seems Qubes does not
> support hardware acceleration nor virtual machines.
>
> So, I'm curious, for those who use Qubes, what actual work do you get done?
>
> I've also tried playing youtube videos but found audio out of sync and I
> could not resize or maximize the playback window.
>
> I may have tried the second to latest version released so maybe things have
> changed or will change in 4.x?
>
> Not being able to run VMs, Davinci Resolve, or youtube are making me have to
> look at other options like OS X, Windows 10, and Linux.
>
> I was leaning towards OS X but enabling case sensitivity for the file system
> can break certain apps like those from Adobe, or cause other problems.. And I
> prefer linux/unix like command-lines to DOS, so kind of leaning away from
> Windows 10.
>
> That leaves Linux distros like Debian, Mint, e bv  But I'm wondering how
> secure it will be compared to Qubes?

Also the question you ask regarding virtual machines, Qubes in and on it self
is a massive virtual machine. You can install any Operation System you like in
Qubes OS. You can install Win7, Win8, Win10, however only Win7 has support and
drivers to make it run smoothly with Qubes OS, and currently, it only works for
Qubes 3.2. and only somewhat on Qubes 4.0 if you transfer an existing Win7
install over from your old Qubes 3.2.

You can also install Android, though, similar to the above, it lacks some
development to make the mouse act like a mouse input for touch. Though,
installing all these third party OS systems is no issue at all, it works just
fine. What is lacking however, is the support for mouse-pointer, screen-size
and such things. But if you enjoy the terminal as you said, then some of these
things you might be able to fix yourself. And these issues are only stuff you
bring in yourself, anything out-of-the-box in Qubes (fedora, debian, whonix)
should work just fine.

I haven't tried many types of OS installs, but I believe you can make most
Linux systems work on Qubes in similar fashions as to the out-of-the-box if you
can build and compile the code yourself with the Qubes tools included. Heck,
you can get Ubuntu working, though it's not included by default due to license
issues, so you need to do it yourself or find someone that did it unofficially
(which is available for Qubes if you look for the unofficially).

AppImages also works just fine on Qubes, both fedora and debian. For example I
use AppImage from CollateNote and Wire (the new open source chat application).
Works just fine, no problems, just like any other Linux system. It may lack a
shortcut in Qubes's menu's, but you can easily make that yourself, it's very
straight forward to build a one-liner command for it.

Also I've seen people get docker working too, but it's unofficial stuff as
well.

Virtualbox and the likes? I haven't heard or tried on Qubes, but frankly I
don't think you'll need it here.