Yubikey can have different modes of authentication.  I remember looking at the
work of adubois last year as a possible solution.
My Yubikey has a slot used for Challenge/Response, which is MUCH easier to work
with when you have multiple systems and devices.

I guess YubicoOTP would require something like a custom PAM module... but with
Challenge/Response, my solution was to use the built-in pam_exec.so to run a
very short script when authenticating.

The only dependency is to install ykpers on sys-usb as it uses ykchalresp.

https://gist.github.com/Joeviocoe/929ebde1066a22491bf93ccc9d6c0ba3