I'm trying to use Salt to set up my standard configuration, which includes a
few appvms used for various purposes.

I have been able to create scripts that sets up the dom0 configuration, creates
the VMs, and configures the templates.

But when I try to use the same mechanism to configure the appvms (specifically,
updating /rw/config/rc.local, installing some default configuration in the
user's home directory etc) that script simply doesn't seem to run.

I tried to create a minimal test case, and this is what I have done:

/srv/salt/custom/backup.top:
--------
backup:
  ^backup$:
    -match: pcre
    - custom.backup
--------

/src/salt/custom/backup.sls:
--------
create-test-file:
  cmd.run:
    - name: echo foo > /home/user/foo.txt
    - runas: user
--------

I also have a rule that actually creates the "backup" vm.

After running this, nothing happens in the appvm, and the
/var/log/qubes/mgmt-backup.log contains the following:

--------
calling 'state.highstate':
output: backup:
output:     - No matching salt environment for environment 'backup' found.
output:     - No matching sls found for 'custom.backup' in env 'backup'.
exit code: 0
--------

What have I done wrong here?

Regards,