On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 2:32:17 AM UTC+1, StefanUrkel . wrote:
> btw, is upgrading an existing Qubes install to a new version pretty much
> simply downloading the new version and choosing an option for upgrading
> existing installations?  or is it more involved than that or even requires a
> fresh install?
>

> On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 2:20 PM,  <lemond...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Without support for hardware acceleration of virtual machines, plus needing
> specific hardware compatible with Qubes OS, what kinds of work do you get
> done if Qubes is your main OS on primary PC?
>

> I want to run Davinci Resolve, which is a video editor that runs on Linux,
> but it takes advantage of the discrete GPU, and it seems Qubes does not
> support hardware acceleration nor virtual machines.
>

> So, I'm curious, for those who use Qubes, what actual work do you get done?
>

> I've also tried playing youtube videos but found audio out of sync and I
> could not resize or maximize the playback window.
>

> I may have tried the second to latest version released so maybe things have
> changed or will change in 4.x?
>

> Not being able to run VMs, Davinci Resolve, or youtube are making me have to
> look at other options like OS X, Windows 10, and Linux.
>

> I was leaning towards OS X but enabling case sensitivity for the file system
> can break certain apps like those from Adobe, or cause other problems.. And I
> prefer linux/unix like command-lines to DOS, so kind of leaning away from
> Windows 10.
>

> That leaves Linux distros like Debian, Mint, e bv  But I'm wondering how
> secure it will be compared to Qubes?
>

> --

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/e6383ea1-5152-4995-addd-36891420db58%40googlegroups.com.

In addition to what Tim W said, you can also keep a Qubes RC-2 install, and
update normally to RC-3 and RC-4, simply by updating dom0 and templates, like
you normally do, nothing special to do here. But I do recommend you read each
release cycle news, as the developers sometimes have special notes on this
issue as they began doing in Qubes 4 RC-X releases. For example RC-3 to RC-4
has some notes.

But yes,
RC-2 to RC-3,
RC-3 to RC-4,
and
RC-2 to RC-4,

should all be good paths to take.
But stay clear of RC-1, the developers recommend a re-install between RC-1 and
RC-2.