fix:

qvm-features fedora-26-minimal qubes-firewall 1

out of curiosity I tried to find where/when this feature is set for the
default fedora-26 template: there's a comment in qubes/ext/core_features.py
that says '[this feature] can be freely enabled or disabled by template' but
I don't understand what it's supposed to mean - whether the template
automatically sets it somehow (but then how ?) or if it can be set for each
template. It's probably the latter; in that case maybe the feature is set by
the template's rpm postscripts (but then I couldn't find any mention of
"qvm-features" in the qubes-builder-fedora repo).

See here: https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2829

In short: there is qubes.PostInstall service called just after template
installation, to let template advertise supported features. I think it
should be also called automatically after installing new packages (or
even updating existing), because that can influence supported features -
like in this case.

Ah, everything makes sense now...

You can try triggering it manually. From the template call

     /etc/qubes-rpc/qubes.PostInstall

Yep, it works.

for other people reading this thread, this amounts to:

qvm-features-request qubes-firewall=1
qvm-features-request --commit

Issue for tracking this problem:

thanks !