On Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 12:46:45 PM UTC-7, Yuraeitha wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 6:59:14 PM UTC+1, Sonny Horton wrote:
> > I was originally on R3.2 and created 5 Standalone VMs: antergos, kali,
> > parrotOS, Ubuntu (desktop), win7
> >
> > I upgraded along the way to various R4.0 release candidates.  I skipped rc1
> > as it was not usable on my hardware.  rc2 was usable with some work, and
> > rc3 has been working great.  At each upgrade through rc3, I used backups of
> > the Standalone VMs that were created in 3.2.
> >
> > However, When I decided to take the rc4 plunge, I took fresh backups of the
> > VMs from R4.0rc3.
> >
> > All 5 VMs restored cleanly (although slowly) from backup and all operate
> > normally, except:
> >
> > None of the 5 VMs have access to the network - at all (neither browser nor
> > ping - either by name or IP).
> >
> > I've done the following:
> >
> > Made sure that each of the VMs is using sys-firewall as its netvm.
> >
> > Made sure that I can reach the network from sys-firewall (using both
> > command line [ping] and browser tools).
> >
> > Made sure each Standalone VM is in PVH mode (except win7, which I have
> > tried both as PVH and HVM).
> >
> > Made sure no exclusive firewall rules are in place (allow all outbound
> > traffic is selected).
> >
> > Double-checked to make sure that the new rc4 template VMs are able to
> > connect to the network - they all are.  Note that the Standalone VMs are
> > the ONLY ones I restored from rc3 - not any template VMs or VMs derived
> > from templates.
> >
> > Note that the state indicator in Qube Manager is yellow for each of these
> > Standalone VMs when they are running.  I couldn't find a legend for this,
> > but assume it is not as good as green :)
> >

> > I am still a bit of a novice Qubes user, but rather competent otherwise.  I
> > would welcome any informed direction on where to take my troubleshooting
> > next.  My goal is to get these 5 VMs running with network access one rc4,
> > especially the kali and parrotOS VMs, which are fairly customized setups.
> > The others are quite generic and are for testing.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your help!
> >
> > Sonny Horton
>
> Could it by any chance be that this is a similar issue to that of standalone
> Windows in Qubes 4, where the old Qubes tools network service is broken? The
> solution there is to disable the Qubes network service inside Windows, and
> then manually set the IP/subnet/Gateway/QubesDNS. Perhaps something similar
> has to be done in these other standalone VM's now?
>
> Windows has to be run in HVM mode though (PV probably works too, but at least
> PVH is officially confirmed not to work with Windows 7).
>
> Did you try click on the VM in the Qube Manager to see if the yellow
> indicator changes? You might know this already, but the Qube Manager is
> "somewhat" frozen in Qubes 4, or at the very least so slow that it appears
> frozen. For example if you start a VM, or close a VM, while the Qube Manager
> [...]

Initially followed my ignorant reflexes and replied to the e-mail, sorry!

@yuraeitha - thank you for the reply.

I’ve had the win7 VM working in R4.0rc3 with networking, having applied the
qubes tools fix [IIRC it was a simple reinstall of tools], so I don’t believe
this to be the issue.

With regard to win7 as well, I do have it set to use HVM (I tried PVH for grins
as that was how it was set initially after the restore).

I did update the Qube Manager window - both by clicking on the running VM and
by using the refresh button in the toolbar.  The icon stays yellow.  I did
notice that state indicators do not change when you terminate a standalone VM
outside the Qube Manager, but do if you refresh the view.  I did also notice an
error message that reports itself as a possible bug in Qube Manager when you
use it to stop a standalone VM.  I have not fully validated this error, but I
likewise don’t believe it has anything to do with the networking issue.

Also, the reason I went with a clean install of rc4 was to avoid waiting for
the upcoming patches for rc3 to address known vulnerabilities.  Having previous
success restoring my VM backups in an R4.0 environment, I had confidence in
this approach.

I’d like to explore the idea of manual IP configuration, but I am not sure how
to proceed, given that it appears that the VMs can’t seem to connect to the
virtual network interface provided by sys-firewall at all…  Not at least given
the tools I am presently aware of.  If you know more, please do share - and
thank you again for your reply and suggestions.

S.H.