On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 05:56:54PM -0800, snowboard...@gmail.com wrote:
> I installed an HVM of Linux Mint 18 on a laptop. I followed everything that
> is in the HVM tips and changed the driver to vesa, the horiz sync to 30-60
> the vert refresh to 40-80 (and tried without it). I tried hardcoding
> resolutions and not hardcoding them.
>
> I get a sync problem as long as I log in (the login screen is huge but ok).
> Then it's all totally fuzzy.
>
> What else can I try? Thanks

here's an alternate approach:

sudo apt-get install xvfb xfonts-100dpi xfonts-75dpi xfstt

Edit /etc/default/grub, and set:
GRUB_GFXMODE=1600x1200,1280x1024,800x600
GRUB_PAYLOAD_LINUX=keep

sudo update-grub

Restart the HVM.
Obviously, use resolutions that work for you. (You may find that only
the FIRST in that list is active and available.)