On Monday, February 26, 2018 at 8:04:44 PM UTC+1, ThierryIT wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to backup few of my VMs.
> I have mount my external usb (not using sys-usb) HDD.
> From the console where my HDD is attached/mounted, I have access through
> /mnt/removable to all my previous (3.2) backup files.
> I have created, in /mnt/removable, a new folder.
> When running the Qubes backup, and choosing the newly created folder, I have
> this error:
>
> Selected directory do not exists or not a directory
>
> I have created others folders, I have change permissions ... Same problem.
> Today all my folders are:
>
> - drwxrwxr-x 3 user:user AppVM_bck
>
> Same pb if root:root
>
> ??

I don't think it's a permission issue, it can't find the folder, so it's likely
not even getting to the point where it's asking the system for permissions.

Missing information:
- If you're not using sys-usb, are you then running backup from dom0 or from an
USB controller directly pass-through into an AppVM?

- Did you remember to use '' marks for spaces in the address?

- Did you mixup the domain:device flag with the -d flag, such as between
qvm-usb/qvm-pci and qvm-backup?

- What is the full qvm-backup path you use? By full, I mean the whole thing.

In case you're not doing this from dom0, but from an USB controller directly
passed into "any" AppVM, then to followup on the answer and link from Rusty
Bird, to quote mig5 in the link:

"As proof, I can 'cheat' this by running sudo mkdir /mnt/removable on my dom0,
and then I can proceed to backup my VMs on the disk mounted on sys-usb at
/mnt/removable"

Essentially, it seems you can bypass this error by making a similar path
available in dom0, even though the path in dom0 won't be used. Apparently it
fails if the path isn't available in dom0, despite the path being used is
actually inside the AppVM.

However, if you're running the USB from dom0 directly, then to my knowledge it
has never really worked in Qubes 4, be it RC-1 or RC-4, due to the redesign
including the admin tools, and it seemingly was not made to include dom0
qvm-backup. I haven't checked, but maybe it was fixed since not all hardware
can make a sys-usb (for example when touchscreen is tied to USB and the
controller can't be moved away from dom0 without freezing the entire screen,
not just touch, but literally freezing the picture <--- which is just one
example why some still need to run USB controllers in dom0).

What is your situation? More information?