On Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 2:01:40 AM UTC+1, Yuraeitha wrote:
> @[799]
> Maybe we can do both and increase the overall value altogether? I'll
> understand if you don't think that is a good idea, but lets for a moment try
> see if a merged forum/github-wiki concept can work. We could make a sub-forum
> or even a whole forum section for GitHub account activity. Make a sticky post
> which is kept updated, with overview and introducing every GitHub content
> developers who are making unofficial work to Qubes. Then below that, everyone
> can post a detailed post for their GitHub page, listing and giving brief or
> detailed explanations of what it brings of value. Essentially it's possible
> to promote ones work here, so that others can find it.
>
> So overall, for example one forum section for guides on how to use and get
> into Qubes (i.e. new people to Qubes, and how to get started). Another
> section for work on scripts and guides with sub-forums, moving the
> scripts/guides over as they develop. And a final forum section to polish the
> scripts/guides to finish them. Then we can have a forum section for GitHub
> pages as described above, this way, people can choose the degree they want
> others to meddle in their work. For example GitHub while cooperative, doesn't
> tend to have others come in unless there is an open invitation there, or if
> the other party is rude. But on the forum here, it's an open invitation to
> come and work together on a project. This way one can preserve a form of
> individuality too, and invite others in naturally through the forum as a
> framework, if that is what is desired. The forum will then focus on both
> approaches, whether it's promoting/sharing work done on, or inviting on
> projects for work to-do.
>
> As such people can choose the style they like. Also in addition to that, not
> everyone enjoys working in groups, but some enjoys working alone (and that
> should be respected, imo). For example it may fuel energy and be relaxing to
> work alone (it can even be a way of relaxing after a long day at
> work/similar), while in contrast it would be exhausting to work with others.
> Essentially the embodiment of being introvert and extrovert, both I think is
> completely normal and none is better than the other. People who gain energy
> working with others prefer a different work-style. Nothing wrong with it
> either, it's just how people gain energy, there is nothing bad about either
> of the two.
>
> I think if we mix the approaches together, we can add value to both
> suggestions. It's also easier to have discussions for both groups, for
> example a forum for the copyright/law discussions on using other people work,
> so that we can be better informed on such matters. We can also highlight some
> kinds of works in various of different forums, wherever there is people
> willing to discuss or read, and all this can be closely tied to GitHub and
> GitHub Wiki's. What do you think of a merged approach?

> [...]

I forgot to take the wiki aspect fully into it too, but that too could be
integrated into the forum as well, and it also makes it much, much, much more
easy to maintain a decentralized GitHub wiki as a moderator can edit the sticky
post in the wiki forum segment, and this way the forum serves not only as a
forum, but also a as hub to all other Qubes platforms. It can also help promote
Qubes donation website over at https://opencollective.com/qubes-os# and the
other off-site webpages. Essentially the forum, I think is a very powerful
platform to increase awareness of the other platforms, while also serving as a
forum at the same time, without trying to replace what the other platforms are
doing, and then add value on its own in those areas where forums make more
sense to use.