On 03/06/2018 12:10 AM, Tim W wrote:

Wownfine I give up h you ha e read so much into my commemts that I never
intnnded whatever.  Tell the guy that wants a high end laptop to buy a power pc
or a talonto run qubes ofc it.
Xen doesn't support POWER, which is why I suggested the x86_64 KCMA-D8 and KGPE-D16 for a qubes desktop.

I always mention the TALOS 2 anyway as despite the fact that the xen developers haven't released a POWER port of xen it does support hardware virtualization via POWER-KVM and POWER-IOMMU so one can use it for a server or secure workstation concept just without the qubes inter-VM usability enhancements - the TALOS 2 is significantly faster than even the latest intel/amd server hardware and has many more features for a lower price than current high end x86_64 server hardware.
Or to use those ausu boards as that will make angreat laptop.     Since every
piiece of hardware you use om those syztems is 100% opensource I guess that
includes the harddrive firmware w.
Hard drive firmware isn't part of a motherboard; irregardless all of my suggested systems feature an IOMMU which prevents a rogue drive firmware from attacking the system memory via DMA.

One could also buy an open source firmware SSD from the OpenSSD project.
   As this op wants a laptop though please name a single open that meets the
standards you speak of with no close sourced  firmware and drivers.
The novena would fit that category but it doesn't have an IOMMU thus I suggest the G505S wherein the only DMA capable device that requires a binary blob for hardware initiation is the video card - system memory is of course protected via IOMMU-GFX on that model so it can't really do anything bad.

"X thing is 90% good not 100% so don't bother at all!!!11"
  Becuase no LE agencies in the USA ha e ever used backdoor firmware on
hardrives.
They have not, that is beyond their capabilities and costs many hundreds of thousands to develop for a single drive model - there are many far easier ways to further an investigation.