@awokd

On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 10:45:42 AM UTC+1, awokd wrote:
> On Wed, March 7, 2018 9:00 am, Yuraeitha wrote:

> >> I want to underline that this suggestion is to start out as small as
> >> possible, while still starting out the primary idea of community work
> >> by the community.
> >>
> >> Since this can take any shape later on, it will not negate any of the
> >> ideas in this thread, it'll only serve as a small starting point, or a
> >> testing grounds before expanding it, while at the same time starting to
> >> save Qubes staff's time on the Qubes doc page.
> >
> > Qubes staff could also take the Qubes doc commits that came to them
> > directly, and instead forward them backwards to the Qubes Community doc
> > or trial grounds, if it does not have enough quality or needs
> > improvements, or in case it is a busy time period and it can't be
> > reviewed.
> >
> > Furthermore in busy times, the bridge to carry over docs from Community
> > doc's to Qubes doc's can be minimized to slow down the commits, as a
> > dynamic to help the Qubes staff to better manage their own time.
>
> Two repos mean twice the administration; not sure that's the best approach
> to start out with. I poked around Github settings a bit. The permission
> controls are very limited (maybe granular settings are available in the
> paid version), but the following might fit most of your model:
>
> - one Github site
> - only a single owner permitted
> - Wiki with editing permitted to any logged in Github user (your
> scratch/development area)
> - collaborators by individual Github name appear to have push/write access
> to full repo
> - Code section could contain the more formal contents, would have to be a
> collaborator to contribute directly or approve submissions
> - unclear on how documents would migrate from here to qubes-doc unless as
> a copy/paste, but that would lose attribution and I imagine most would
> like their own name on their commit!
>
> Can any Github pros confirm/deny/provide additional detail?

I see, that is a very good point, I agree fully with you.

So if I understood what you meant correctly (github terminology is tricky
here), so a sense, we could have a single github (the official Qubes one) and a
single repository as well, but within it have 3 different folders for 2
different pages, and another one which won't appear on any page but stays
unofficial on github. This is what you meant?

I don't think it's an issue to have two pages appear on the Qubes website
(Qubes doc's and Community doc's), sourced from 2 different github folders,
that's how you see it too I suspect? So it's a question if different people can
have different permissions on a pr. folder basis, which automatically? changes
what appears on the websites doc page. So I end up with such questions as well,
is permissions here doable on a pr. folder basis? Does Github allow such
micro-managment? But I suspect Andrew might know the answer here.

It might be possible to move the whole guide file(s) as well with minimum work.
have you tried fork your GitHub to your local harddrive awokd? It looks a lot
like a simple folder/file structure, where moving files should be all it takes?
As long as internal depending links and addresses are corrected, but if keeping
the structure in-tact then I don't think that be an issue. The limited time I
used GitHub, I think it's just a matter of moving it from one folder to another
folder, in a sense a very basic but flexible system. But I might be too naive
here? If true, then I believe it should preserve everything in the doc,
formatting, code, size, fonts, everything, even if it's moved from one folder
to another folder. But I'm not 100% sure either if that is how GitHub work here.

I did in my previous mail refer volunteers as moderators and not volunteers as
community developers, maybe it's better to temporarily call them volunteer
moderators to avoid mix-ups when discussing. Separating the volunteer
moderators in two tiers as well maybe? The Community driven volunteer
moderators must for example have better insight in what makes a guide a good
quality, a good understanding of security, etc? While the trial and testing
volunteer moderators requires less quality-checks and is more focused on
managing the new ideas coming in from different GitHub sources (the communities
own GitHub pages), and poking and turning stones to bring forth unseen
perspectives.

So something like this?

Categories:
- Volunteer developer
- Volunteer moderator, tier 2
- Volunteer moderator, tier 1
- Qubes Staff, tier 0

Official Qubes OS GitHub maintenance
- Qubes Unofficial trial and testing grounds. (Tier 2 - Volunteer maintained)
- Qubes Community doc's. (Tier 1 - Volunteer maintained)
- Qubes Official doc's. (Tier 0 - Qubes staff maintained)

Qubes website appearance
- Qubes Official doc's
- Qubes Community doc's

Let me know if I misunderstood you. I'm still grasping the proper terminology,
as well the limits and possibilities of Github, so it might be easy to
misunderstand.