On Thursday, March 8, 2018 at 8:12:59 AM UTC-5, Ed wrote:
> On 03/07/2018 10:24 PM, Glen H wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm using R4 (having never used R3) and trying to get my scanner working
> > but it stops scanning a page half way through.  After debugging with the
> > author of the scanner software they say the program asks for 128 KBytes of
> > data and the first 256 bytes of this data is dropped (lost).
> >
> > To fix this I've tried:
> > 1) Turning off USB 3.0 in BIOS (unfortunately this isn't really an option
> > as all the external ports are disabled).  It doesn't revert back to USB 2.0
> > 2) Set the ports to USB 2.0 via setpci:
> >
> > ```
> > lspci -nn | grep USB | cut -d '[' -f3 | cut -d ']' -f1 | xargs -I@ setpci
> > -H1 -d @ d0.l=0
> > ```
> >
> > Unfortunately neither of those made a difference.  Using the
> > scanner/software in Windows on a different computer works.
> >

> > I'm currently running a Qubes backup and then I'll try installing Ubuntu
> > and see if that works.  If so would seem to be related to Qubes.
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas?  My laptop is a Dell e7440 with the latest BIOS.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Glen
> >

> Are you passing the device through to another VM?
>
> The USB pass-through method has given me issues in the past for devices
> that use a lot of bandwidth (webcams), though you are saying data is
> lost after only a few bytes, I still might be suspect of the USB
> passthrough system in qubes...
>
> So if you ARE passing through you might want to try running the scanner
> software directly from sys-usb to see if you can eliminate the USB
> passthrough as a source of problems.
>
> Ed

Hi, I'll do some more tests in the next few days but just to answer some
questions:

1) I have USB devices assigned in sys-usb

2) I use the devices panel widget to pass them to my AppVM.
  - then it shows up as "Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04f9:60a0 Brother Industries,
Ltd ADS-2000"

3) The controller info from Dom0 is:

00:14.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 8 Series USB xHCI HC
[8086:9c31] (rev 04)
00:1d.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 8 Series USB EHCI #1
[8086:9c26] (rev 04)

I'll try testing in the debian-9 AppVM, test from sys-usb, and install Ubuntu
too once I have time.  One other thing I haven't investigated is "Configure
strict reset for PCI devices" but it is grayed out in sys-usb Devices tab.

Thanks for the help.

Glen