On Friday, March 9, 2018 at 11:11:09 PM UTC+1, [ 799 ] wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I am just wondering if there is a way to speed up the start of disposable VMs.
> On my W540 with an Intel Core i7-4900MQ with 4 Cores @ 2.8GHz / 32 GB RAM /
> 512GB SSD and having only sys-net / sys-firewall running the first boot of a
> disposable VM takes 18sec, later starts take 15sec.
>

> There is not much difference compared to my less powerful X230.
>

> Are these normal launch times (~15sec) for a DispVM?
> What could be done to accelerate this to get below 10sec?
>

> [799]

I did a benchmark comparison (not overly accurate, but it might give some
pointers).

Your CPU 9061 rating. Single Thread Rating: 2084. Margin for error: Low.
No of Cores: 4 (2 logical cores per physical).
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-4900MQ+%40+2.80GHz
15 seconds to open dispVM.

My CPU 2820 rating, Single Thread Rating: 1051. Margin for error: Low.
No of Cores: 2 (2 logical cores per physical).
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+M-5Y10c+%40+0.80GHz&id=2464
33,49 seconds to open picture in dispVM.

So I got one real core, and one logical core to run my AppVM's, while you
essentially have double up, 2 cores, 2 logical (unless you modified default
Qubes CPU core layout to AppVM's of course).

If you notice the value rating pr. core, yours is rated 2048, while mine is
rated 1051. That's a roughly double up difference in performance.

What I wonder about, what would happen if you assigned the 3'rd
physical+logical core to your AppVM usecases, while preserving the last 1
physical+logical core in dom0? Would it give you 75% performance in AppVM's
instead of just 50% performance?

I have no idea if this is even possible to do in Qubes without breaking Qubes,
but I believe it should be possible though, question is probably if it is a
good idea to do that? But at least performance wise, dom0 doesn't need all that
much juice.