On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 8:11:25 PM UTC+1, Tim W wrote:
> I am sorry what is reason so many people want to get and use a riseup.net
> account outside political or some other social reason

Yeah your concerns are legitimate.
I guess they changed canary to make it more usable. Old one was a bit awkward
since due to warrant they were not able to update it or comment anything about
it.

New one doesnt cover subpoenas and gag orders, but only covers infrastructure
they control and are always free to comment on.
So new canary is not as reassuring as old one, but new one will not cause this
6 months old radio silence when users didnt know what is going on.

Btw old gag order and investigation was because of some cryto blackmailing. I
think I found this somewhere on riseup canary pages.

You are right there is nothing than username and password protecting your
account. But this is the same for every other non two factor authentication
account.
And they are as far I know closed source so you just have to trust them. Which
is again same as majority of other email providers.

You mentioned that "They no longer offer any form of encryption."
This is not true. After that gag order debacle they introduced new encrypted
mailboxes.
https://riseup.net/en/about-us/press/canary-statement
Under this new system (if what they claim is true). Fed will not be able to
read any emails if they dont have password of account. Under old system riseup
admins were able to provide content of emails to feds without your password,
under new system they cant. (New system also doesnt allow admins to reset your
password if you forgot it)

So to answer your question, I guess people are recently rushing to riseup
because it is "known as secure" and they trust the sources where they heard
that.
I reality nobody can be rally sure if whole thing is not just honeypot.

And most importantly. You said that if you encrypt your emails with PGP, riseup
doesnt offer much more than any other free email provider.

ANYONE USING RISEUP FOR SECURITY CONCERNS, SHOULD STILL USE MANUAL PGP
ENCRYPTION OF EMAIL CONTENT AND BE CAUTIOUS WITH SUBJECT OF EMAIL