On Wednesday, 14 March 2018 12:25:12 UTC+11, Chris Laprise  wrote:
> On 03/13/2018 08:20 PM, Drew White wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 14 March 2018 11:06:22 UTC+11, Chris Laprise  wrote:
> >> The current VPN doc is here:
> >>
> >> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/vpn/
> >
> > Thanks for the reply Chris, but that is not what I was looking for as I was
> > wanting to use pptp VPN connections (and similar), not a Qubes VPN.
> I think you mean "not an OpenVPN..."?

I am guessing so, yes, thanks for clarifying.

> FWIW, the resources at those links are meant to be adaptable for
> non-OpenVPN setups, and they don't impose any particular type of routing
> (other than forbidding access that most call 'leaks'). As for accessing
> the LAN directly through a VPN VM, there are simple ways to make an
> exception for it.
That's what I don't get. All I want to do is have the VPN connect, nothing
else. So that my AppVM can talk through it to the external.

> >> It is in need of an update (Qubes 4.0 and ease of use) and we're waiting
> >> for review and approval of new scripts and documentation.
> >
> > I'm using Qubes 3.2, because that's the most recent version that is
> > runnable.
> >
> > The thing is, a VPN is created from inside the Guest to call outside, so
> > there should be nothing needed to be altered other than allowing the proxy
> > to have access to the outside world.
> >
> > Once the VPN is created, that connection is used for everything that is not
> > on the internal network.
> It depends on the routes setup for the VPN, and this goes for PPTP,
> OpenVPN, whatever. The default routing that for-pay VPN providers use is
> "route everything upstream" but user has some control. If you
> run/control the remote end also, then it all depends on what you want.

That is true, and that is something I can do. I have done many many things with
the VMs before anyone even thought about doing it, because I used Qubes for
Development purposes. So routing isn't too hard for it. If I have any isues
with the Routing sides of it I'll be sure to ask.

> > I also want to have one where everything that is going to happen on the
> > remote network is pushed through the VPN, and everything else remains using
> > the local connection.
> >
> > So there are 2 ways I'm looking at having it work.
> >
> > But at first, I just want a standard PPTP connection.
> There are plenty of guides out there. But when searching for examples
> keep in mind that a Qubes proxyVM behaves much like a router (not a PC
> endpoint) so that may be the best type of guide to use.

Exactly, and as a router it should connect a VPN.
I used to have it able to do it. So that's why I don't understand why it isn't
working. Since I had it able to do it once before, ages ago, and nothing has
changed since then, and now it isn't working. So it's odd. Thus I figured maybe
something has changed.