On Monday, 19 March 2018 20:06:41 UTC+8, Unman  wrote:

> generally the Xsession wont touch .profile - there are exceptions.
> It's picking up stuff from /etc/X11/Xsession.d
> You can also use ~/.xsessionrc which is sourced from a file in
> /etc/X11/Xsession.d
> You probably dont want to source .bashrc directly, but you can create
> another file to hold environment variables and source it from
> .xsessionrc AND .bashrc/.profile

Thank you. I followed your recommendations but it does not seem to work.

I tried this by creating a file /etc/X11/Xsession.d/99xsession with the
following content:

    if [ -r "$HOME/.xsessionrc" ] ; then
        . "$HOME/.xsessionrc"
    fi

I then added some code in .xsessionrc that adds a log message to a file in
/tmp. After this I sourced /etc/X11/Xsession.d/99xsession to confirm that the
everything worked.

After rebooting the VM, the environment variable was not set, and there was no
entry in the file in /tmp which is updated by the script.

>From this I draw the conclusion that the scripts in /etc/X11/Xsession.d are
>not actually sourced when booting a VM.

Did I do something wrong, or is my analysis of the situation incorrect?