On Sun, March 25, 2018 3:07 am, sevas wrote:

> Heres what Im trying to do.
>

> I had qubes installed without it. I wanted to install android. Android
> didnt recognize the virtual machines. So, I plugged in a 2nd disk. I was
> able to qvm-pci attach my SSD. Android recognized it and was able to
> install.

I'm surprised this actually worked without trouble!

> However, my disk was not encrypted and I wanted to move it into the qubes
> LVM
> so it would be encrypted and then pci attach it.

You can't do this. Encryption and volume management are handled in dom0.
By PCI attaching it to a VM, you are effectively unplugging it from dom0
which means it can no longer manage or decrypt the drive, and I can see
why a surprise removal of it would crash your computer if you had it set
up for that.

The options I see for you are:

A) Go back to 3.2 with the emulated disk controller Android can detect
(see https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3651).

B) Wait for someone to add a feature to 4.0/4.1 to change the emulated
disk controller type per VM (or find out if there is a more direct means
to change it). This would let you add both your drives to the same LVM
pool and encryption, and use regular drive images for your HVM.

C) Dedicate and passthrough the single SSD only for your Android HVM
without encryption etc.

> My idea to fix this is one of two.
> Either figure out how to PVCreate /dev/sda which means reinstalling
> everything again.

I'm not exactly sure I follow what you've done to this point, so that
might be the safest approach. Fdisk the SSD (assuming there's nothing you
need to keep on it), shutdown your computer, physically disconnect/remove
the SSD, power on and reinstall Qubes if needed. Then power back down and
reattach it. You can then use it with one of the above options. If option
B, suggest manually setting up cryptsetup on it with the same password and
then a separate LVM pool.