On 03/24/18 14:20, daltong defourne wrote:
Hello community!

I need to achieve the following:

A systemd unit that fires ONLY when user first logs in (not when bootup
complete, so rc.local does not achieve what I want)

And, related need, I want to be able to determine if a particular VM is already
running.

What I want to achieve:

sequential VM startup that does not rely on "start automatically" facilities of
Qubes R3.2, that only fires after user logs in, and then starts a shell script that does
the following:

1) check if a particular autostarty VM is already running (timeout and
self-terminate with error if it is not running for 30 seconds after login)

2) when the VM is detected as running start VM2

3) wait for it to start, re-check for its running status (as in point 1)

4) start VM 3

If you are using lightdm you might look at the "session-setup-script" setting and see if it can handle what you want. I have mine prompting the user with a simple zenity dialog at logon, but yours is a bit more complicated, so your mileage my vary significantly. Mine appears to block processing to wait for a user action but yours could take a significant amount of time during VM start up, but it may be acceptable in your specific usec-ase.

/usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/*.conf

$ grep session-setup-script \
   /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/60-lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf

session-setup-script=/usr/local/bin/do-what-i-want-script