On Sunday, March 25, 2018 at 8:08:19 PM UTC-7, franc...@tutamail.com wrote:
> Security considerations aside, it's so convenient having shared root
> filesystems that can be updated once for multiple child-VMs.  Is this feature
> unique to Qubes or is something like this often replicated when using other
> hypervisor systems?
>
> Specifically, I want to run a **not**-secure bleeding edge testbox that has
> gpu acceleration in dom0. (Example: archlinux + KVM). I know
> thin-provisioning (COW?) will allow one copy of OS on the filesystem to be
> re-used but is it possible to base multiple VM's on a single template like
> Qubes? Thanks for reading.

docker and vagrant come to mind. you could also do this yourself the same way
qubes does it with a root template and machine specific home disk, or some
shared storage if that doesnt work. vagrant has a way to update and rebox
existing vagrant boxes so you dont have to rebuild it every time you want to
update. so theres that, or scripting it yourself with virsh or one of its
bindings.

heres some notes on using kvmgt with libvirt,
https://github.com/TobleMiner/KVMGT

if you do this, dont forget to make a usb canary, and maybe use the iommu to
wall of other scary ports.