I mainly ask the question because I already had templates that were up-to-date
in terms of software packages, so there's no real reason to be starting over
there.

It would be nicer to be able to update whatever they need for their Qubes
backend and keep the template going.

This is especially true for templates that are built on other distros, like
Arch or Ubuntu.  I have to imagine the larger Qubes community will be looking
for some way to migrate existing templates in a more seamless manner.