That's odd.  It doesn't work for me with templates that I have with non-default
names.  That's why I was asking this question.

There's no instructions out there about which qubes packages need updating or
installing, nor are there instructions about how to update the Qubes
repositories.

This is the kind of thing that I was asking about.  Without knowing all that
info it doesn't matter if the template has a non-default name or not.