Is there some official opinion on this from whomever the Qubes developers are ?

Looks like it's a bit non trivial, and interacts with dom0 ; hence I'm likely to break Q4.0 trying to 'harden' it :)

I was thinking I could clone the Deb-9 Template, and all would be OK, if I failed however .......

Am a bit curious who is officially a dev on here, I have a few guess, besides Marek, but maybe its folks with the PGP sigs , shrug.....