On 04/20/2018 10:04 AM, cicero wrote:
On 04/20/18 03:12, Chris Laprise wrote:
On 04/20/2018 02:03 AM, cicero wrote:
On 04/19/18 14:04, Chris Laprise wrote:
On 04/19/2018 07:26 PM, john wrote:
I installed this in a App/proxy 4.0 VM,  as I am familiar with the 3.2 CLI  VPN creation.

I don't really understand how installing it in a Template or The Template(not cloning it 1st)  would allow me to swich between geolocations ...

So, I used the AppVM,  then I simply  cloned the 1st one created with the script and went into the PIA config file area ....and did rm -f ln -s  to the network manager thing.

and then recreated the ln -s  to a new config file,  which works , and Even  wakes up  from  suspend  (where in 3.2 it never did) ; However,

If the AppVM using one of the VPN-foo as a netvm,  and it is started, and I want to switch to another VPN-foo1  it doesn't work on the fly, I have to go and qvm-shutdown the  AppVM and open it again,  which is a big pain.    I am often running out of RAM, and so try to just use one App-proxy-vpnVM , however ,

is this the expected behavior  no switching vpn appvms on the fly ?

IIRC this is a bug in the versions of Linux kernel that Qubes 4.0 uses. There is an issue but I can't locate it at the moment.

So, I guess I'll learn to live with it , and try not to change VPNs buy buying some more expensive RAM :)

But, I'm curious , If I install the  new script in the Template/s  , how would I switch  VPN locations?

Or would every AppVM based on that Template be locked into whatever geolocation's config file was symlinked to ?

Templates don't affect your ability to set a custom location script. This is because the link that points from qtunnel.conf to any particular config is stored in each proxyVM under /rw/config/qtunnel.

You can of course do one proxyVM setup, then clone it and change the link in each clone.

BTW, thanks for trying it out!

Chris, what I'm trying to say is, if it is recommended to install it in the Template or a cloned Template ; how then do I change the geolocation to two different locations, one for each of , say, two AppVMs ?

Since there's no connection information in the template -- only the VPN scripts & the OS are there -- templates don't affect configuration issues like different locations. In any case, you have a proxyVM which contains configurations for the connections to various sites, but each proxyVM connects to only one VPN remote site at a time. So to have two AppVMs routed through two different VPN sites, you need two proxyVMs (one for each AppVM).

This is not an absolute rule BTW. Its just how our current tools are most logically and safely configured. Conceivably you could rig a single proxyVM to safely handle more than one VPN connection.

I could create symlinks in /rw/config/qtunnel?   in the AppVMs  ?  or

I understand that if this is integrated later, then I probably need to learn to use it in the Template now, to avoid more issues down the road, I don't really like cloning the Template too much, as Qubes, is already a challenge in its complexity

To clarify...

Cloning the template is recommended because the VPN software is still being tested. Its just a way to backup in case something in the modified template gets damaged.

Cloning a proxyVM is a quick way to make additional VPN VMs that can connect to different VPN sites.

eg: my current dracut emergency shell situation PS: seems I had an old Q3.2 in an enclosure, I was going to reformat but hadn't yet, and during a reboot it was in the USB drive, and this seems to have caused  Q4.0 in efi installation  to dump  it's  init   to boot  ; so do I go make a fedora live usb drive and try to mount and save it ?   and lose all the configuration and restoring of 3.2 VMs   or just reinstall Q4.0?

Boot issues aren't my strong suit, but this sounds serious enough to start a separate thread for it.

I have read some folks on here , whom when trying to go back to Q3.2 are having big issues, I don't really understand how efi works,  my UEFI still  says  Qubes 3.1 for some reason (I think there are some gymnastics to try to get the EFI to update it's names but fear I'll lose the windows 10 install on the 2nd HD,  etc etc .....

Strangely windows 10 "just works", but I digress .....

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket