On Saturday, 5 May 2018 16:34:11 UTC+10, [ 799 ]  wrote:
> Hello,
>

> Drew White <drew....@gmail.com> schrieb am Sa., 5. Mai 2018, 03:09:
> (....)
>
> I don't use UEFI because I want to remain in control of my PC, not let
> Microsoft and others have control.
>

> I had a discussion with a colleague and he couldn't tell what is the real
> benefit running UEFI vs. legacy boot.
> As far as you run one Linux OS use disk encryption and use LVM to split your
> hard drive in different sections, why should I use UEFI which seems to add
> more trouble but no benefits.
>

> On the other hand:
> I haven't understand how others have control when we use UEFI.
>

> From what I have read one of the "improvements" is:
>

> (...) The biggest benefit of UEFI is its security over BIOS. UEFI can allow
> only authentic drivers and services to load at boot time, making sure that no
> malware can be loaded at computer startup. (...)
>

> On the other side there has been evidence that UEFI will not protect you from
> attacks:
>

> (...) UEFI rootkits—malicious code that’s meant to hide other malware and its
> activities—are perfect for cyberespionage or surveillance operations. The
> 2015 data leak from Italian surveillance software maker Hacking Team revealed
> that the company was offering a UEFI rootkit to its law enforcement and
> government customers.
> Documents leaked recently by WikiLeaks about the U.S. CIA’s cybercapabilities
> revealed that the agency purportedly has UEFI “implants” for Mac computers.
> (...)
> As such I have more trust in Legacy Bios more precise Coreboot.
>

> [799]

[799], I agree with you completely.
Happy to know someone out there knows what I am on about.

Do you know if they have any decent replacement for the HDD UEFI instead of
good BIOS yet? One that is secure for storage on the HDD?

Or should I store the UEFI on a separate drive to my OS and DATA drives? Is
that possible? Would it work better?