Hello,

On 05/15 10:57, Dimitri wrote:
> Hi,
> I noticed that the clock in whonix-ws based VMs is not synchronized after
> sleep mode. If I have my computer in sleep mode for 2h then the VMs clock is
> 2h in the past.
> To me this looks like a bug.
> Large clock skews can potentially harm anonymity.

I have the same problem.

I have set the time manually using the following command in sys-whonix and my
anon-whonix AppVM:

   user@host:~$ sudo date +%T -s "22:18:00"

which sets the time to my current local time (germany).

Strangely I still get an error message when running whonixcheck.
Why is there a message "NTP synchronized: no" ?

Shouldn't the time always be synchronized as we're running virtual machines?

user@host:~$ whonixcheck
[INFO] [whonixcheck] sys-whonix | Whonix-Gateway | whonix-gw Template-Based
ProxyVM | Tue May 15 22:29:23 UTC 2018
dmesg: read kernel buffer failed: Operation not permitted
[INFO] [whonixcheck] Connected to Tor.
[ERROR] [whonixcheck] Systemd Clock Check Result:
Unexpected results by timedatectl.
timedatectl_output_pretty:
      Local time: Tue 2018-05-15 22:29:25 UTC
  Universal time: Tue 2018-05-15 22:29:25 UTC
        RTC time: n/a
       Time zone: Etc/UTC (UTC, +0000)
     NTP enabled: yes
NTP synchronized: no
 RTC in local TZ: no
      DST active: n/a
It is generally recommended to keep the default as per Whonix Design. [1]
If you did not change timezone related settings, please report this Whonix bug.
If you know what you are doing and changed this on purpose, feel free to
disable this check. [2]

[1] https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Dev/Design-Shared#timezone
[2] Create a file /etc/whonix.d/50_whonixcheck_user and add:
whonixcheck_skip_functions+=" check_systemd_clock "

[799]