On Sun, Aug 05, 2018 at 09:58:55PM -0700, tierl...@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm new to Fedora, forgive my stupidity but I upgraded from 26 -> 27 -> 28,
> instead of 26 -> 28. Anyway, After upgrading from 26 -> 27 sound stopped
> working, and is still not working on 28.
>
> In Dom0 pavucontrol:playback shows only one VM (sound works) - which is still
> running 26. So it's not necessarily a dom0 thing, and appears to relate to
> the upgrade. Pulse audio is also definitely installed in the templates,
> although pactl and paplay have their "connection refused" - which is about
> the limit of my knowledge with pulseaudio - and I cannot diagnose the issue
> any further.
>
> I have no special sound configuration, and very little custom configurations
> in /etc (almost none), so it's a pretty vanilla install - except a few
> packages. The install is actually only a few days old.
>
> I'm not really sure what the Qubes sound architecture looks like, or how to
> fix my issue. Pulseaudio is also my (idiomatic) Achilles heel - so I'm here
> asking for some guidance.
>
> Thanks!

It's a known problem and there's an open issue for it.
The problem is that fedora have been updating the pulseaudio stable
version, and the Qubes updates to match are working their way in to
Qubes stable.
You may be able to resolve by using packages from the Qubes testing
repository. I don't use Fedora so cant vouch for this.
Have a look at
www.qubes-os.org/doc/software-update-vm/#testing-repositories

unman