On 08/08/2018 09:10 AM, trueriver wrote:
What I am actually wanting to do is to alter sys-net so that the wifi does not
start without my deliberate intervention, regardless of whether it was enabled
at the most recent shutdown.

This is not to disable it totally, but to ensure that it only starts if I right
click the widget and tick the enable wifi checkbox.

At present the wifi is enabled on sys-net startup, even when disabled from the
system tray widget on the previous shutodwm. This is the exact reverse of what
I want!

I apologise for raising this here (it is more appropriately a NetwrokManager or
Fedora question) but it arises for me in the context of Qubes.

I have identified the command

nmcli radio wifi off

and am wondering where to insert this command in the start-up sequence. And do
you recommend it to be in the sys-net Qube /rw space, or in the template (so
that it actually runs at every startup).

Also, I am wondering if I have missed a config setting for NetworkManager that
will do this for me. I have pored over the man pages and googled NetwokrManager
disable but not found an answer. Plenty of ways to disable power management but
that turns out to be something different.

R~~

You can open a terminal in your template and run the following:

sudo touch /var/run/qubes-service/network-manager
sudo service network-manager start
nmcli radio wifi off

Then shutdown the template and restart sys-net. NM should remember the setting you made in the template and start with wifi turned off. It can be turned on by right-clicking the systray icon and enabling the wifi checkbox.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket