Success!

By process of elimination, I was able to pinpoint the wakeup issue to sys-usb.

With further testing, I found that removing the USB-C Thunderbolt 3 Controller
from sys-usb's device list resolved the issue.

Will test further to see if fiddling with Thunderbolt BIOS assist mode will
help. Might a BIOS update might fix this? (The BIOS is on N23ET40W v1.15 from
2018-04-13). Is there a way to update the BIOS without a Windows 10 utility?

Side notes:

1. Despite dmidecode reporting back the proper magic LENOVO and X1 Carbon magic
strings, I still need to manually specify acpi_force_s3=5 into my xen.cfg,
otherwise the kernel patch does not appear to work.

2. My aside about needing the LiveCD Lenovo trick was irrelevant. I can install
from an install disk created with dd, so I don't know what I was doing wrong
the first time.