On 08/13/2018 03:26 AM, Kelly Dean wrote:

Unman writes:

I don't recognise this on a somewhat under powered laptop with HDD -
definitely not "minutes at a time". Is there something significant about
the disks that you cite, or are those just examples?

Nothing significant about #21 in particular. The thrashing procs are whichever
ones handle the virtual disks for a qube that's thrashing.

System is a core i3 with 16GB RAM, and HD with about 100MB/s throughput.

Worst problems seem to be from swapping, and random times when I start a qube.

The swapping is unpredictable, but here's a typical best-case result for
starting an ordinary app qube with fedora-28 template:
T+0: start qube. Brief burst of CPU & disk activity for a second, then mostly
idle for 20 seconds.
T+20: heavy sustained disk thrashing starts.
T+40: pop-up notification that the domain has started. Thrashing continues.
T+60: thrashing abruptly stops.
That's only 1 minute, but when I'm unlucky, it can be several minutes.

How does that compare with your experience?

I don't have anything custom configured to run in the qube at startup, so all
the activity is from the template's defaults. Nothing special about fedora-28
either; I get similar results from debian-9 and whonix-ws.

Can Qubes access all of that RAM? Look at the total_memory figure from 'xl info'.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket