On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 1:30:49 AM UTC+8, 3mp...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> actually I'm a happy Qubes 3.2 user on Intel platform for more than a year
> now !
>
> I'm looking to upgrade my actual Skylake build with an AMD one with the new
> Ryzen Pinnacle Ridge CPU (R7 2700) and installing Qubes 4.0 on the same
> occasion. The Asrock X470 Taichi seems a really nice motherboard for it.
>
> I've found the IOMMU Groups of this motherboard on reddit :
> https://www.reddit.com/r/VFIO/comments/8i8yqq/iommu_groups_for_asrock_taichi_x470/
>
> and it seems there's a big group 13 with LAN, USB and SATA controllers. I
> wonder if the netVM and USB VM will actually be able to passthrough these
> controllers if they are in the same IOMMU Group ?
>
> Any Ryzen / Qubes users can confirm this works OK or this is a no go ?
>
> Thanks for your help !

I've observed that Qubes installation rarely ever succeeds on X370 motherboards
so I believe the same case applies to X470 motherboards with a higher chance of
failure since it is newer. The reason for this I believe is because these
high-end gaming motherboards have alot of functionalities/bugs that
break/interfere with Qubes installation which is an awful letdown.

So while that mobo having separate IOMMU groups being a plus, it doesn't matter
much when you're still in the installation phase of Qubes (Which is the real
hard phase to overcome when it comes to Qubes).