‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On August 27, 2018 10:48 AM, unman <un...@thirdeyesecurity.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 05:13:29AM -0000, 'awokd' via qubes-users wrote:
>
> > On Mon, August 27, 2018 2:02 am, averyfuentes9rs via qubes-users wrote:
> >
> > > Hola Qubers,
> > > For stream-lined management and ease of updating I wanted to implement
> > > the following Qubes hierachy:
> > >
> > > 1.  Official FC28-minimal TemplateVM from qubes-itl-templates repo
> > > 2.  'FC28-base' TemplateVM, a clone of 1)
> > >     With same small adaptations
> > >
> > > 3.  'FC28-$ROLE': TemplateVM which uses 2) as a Template
> > >     With the goal of creating a role specific template that automatically
> > >     benefits from all changes made to 2) 4) 'AppVM-$ROLE': AppVM based on
> > > 3) +
> > >     some user settings
> > >

> > > Trying to create a TemplateVM from a TemplateVM I get:
> > > $ qvm-create --class=TemplateVM --template=FC28-base --label=red
> > > FC28-Test
> > > app: Error creating VM: Got empty response from qubesd. See journalctl in
> > > dom0 for details.
> >
> > > Is a TemplateVM of a TemplateVM an unsupported feature or should I create
> > > an issue on github for this?
> >
> > Unsupported/not implemented, but it's an interesting idea- multiply
> > layered templates. Anyways, I think the expectation under Qubes would be
> > to clone your 'FC28-base' as many times as needed, then you can apply Salt
> > scripts to those to customize further. You can do some limited
> > customization (selecting services to start or not) from the AppVM, but
> > sounds like you'd like more.
>
> awokd is right: it's not implemented.
> In fact the idea has been raised on these lists a few times before. E.g:
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/qubes-users/a_VX6xSWj-Q/discussion
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/qubes-users/iLJjTTQqgrw/discussion
>
> You'll see that the current implementation precludes templateception,
> and changing to allow it would alter the security profile.
>
> As awokd says, multiple templates are the way to go. There's some extra
> admin pain but you can mitigate this using salt (or a simple bash
> script) and a caching proxy.
>
> unman

Thanks for the links. marmareks description of the template mechanism working
on block level logically explains why this is not possible.

It raises a few other (more or less) random thoughts:

1) The python trace I posted above should not happen. IMO qvm-clone should
display an error for this setup being unsupported instead.

2) qubesctl should have something like a '--recursive' flag:
Expected behabvior: Lets say I execute 'state.apply' on an AppVM 'FC28-Random',
adding the recursive flag would first execute 'state.apply' on the TemplateVM
'FC28-Random' is based on and afterwards apply 'state.apply' to the AppVM
itself.

I find 2) especially helpful, since software and OS upgrades need to done in
the TemplateVM. As a new user to Qubes + Salt (alternatively as I'm prone to
forgetting things :-P) I frequently forget to run qubesctl twice to incorporate
all changes that I expect to manifest in the AppVM. IMO the '--recursive' flag
would make the situation more "working as expected".

---
Salud, Avery