On Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 7:08:25 AM UTC+1, coeu...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello, guys.
>
> I want to show boot entries so that I can select certain kernel to boot, and
> I'm using EFI/qubes/xen.efi as boot binary. Currently, it will directly boot
> the default kernel. Could anyone give some advices?
>
> BTW, here is the reason: I have multiple kernels installed and
> kernel-latest-4.15.6-1 may raise kernel panic errors on Raven Ridge platform,
> but kernel-4.14.18-1 works just fine.
>
> Thanks!
> D.F.

I don't understand why there are multiple entries in xen.cfg if the only way to
select any is by setting the default= to one of them.

So, I had to make a copy of the qubes/ folder where xen.cfg is located, then
modify the copied xen.cfg to choose a different kernel. Then add a new boot
entry (which I can only select to boot from by entering BIOS btw), which will
be set as default when added by this command:

first see what we have:
$sudo efibootmgr -v
then add one more (BIOS-visible) entry:
$ sudo efibootmgr -v -c -u -L Mewbs -l /EFI/mewbs/xen.efi -d /dev/sda -p 1
then see what happened:
$ sudo efibootmgr -v

(I'd copy/paste but it's harder to do from dom0 and I'm currently lazy/tired.
#notproud)

The above assumes /dev/sda1 is the efi partition. (the -p 1 is the partition
number; `df /boot/efi`  should show /dev/sda1 )
And that /boot/efi/EFI/qubes/ folder where xen.cfg, xen.efi, initramfs*,
vmlinuz* files are, is copied as /boot/efi/EFI/mewbs/ with all the files. Then
I edited mewbs/xen.cfg to change the default= to a different kernel.

Intructions are from here: https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/uefi-troubleshooting/

Now, the Mewbs entry is selected as default to boot from on next boot, but BIOS
can select which to boot from, which means I have to enter BIOS via F2, then F7
to got to advanced then select Boot and there somewhere both Qubes and Mewbs
entries can be seen and I can either perma-modify which one to boot from, or
temp-override and straight boot on one directly from BIOS there. On an ASUS
Z370-A PRIME motherboard.

Looks like the timeout(which is 1 second) cannot be changed:
$ sudo efibootmgr -v -t 10
Could not set Timeout: invalid argument

I don't know if BIOS has any such setting by the way.