On 09/07/2018 12:48 AM, 'awokd' via qubes-users wrote:
> On Thu, September 6, 2018 8:19 pm, John S.Recdep wrote:

>>> This could happen if fooappVM's netvm is set to sys-whonix-14.

>>> This line, since it is first, means all templates will be updated
>>> through sys-whonix-14. Maybe when you started fooapplication, Qubes
>>> checked the related template for any updates?
>>>

>> Thanks for your reply, well I've checked only anon-whonix dispVM3400 and
>> whonix-ws-dvm-14 are using  sys-whonix-14
>
> OK.
>
>> I'm pretty sure  fedora-28 and Debian-9  are updating over sys-net
>
> They're not. :)

>> 3)hmm, oh so, dom0 when it starts checks templates for any new versions
>> say of firefox, and that requires the template to start and use the
>> designated netvm even if the templates are set to "none" .....
>> .........maybe this only applies if the application is started from dom0
>> via qvm-run  with  its associated appvm also closed  guess I needed to
>> further test it ....
>
> Close- when dom0 checks for template updates it needs to start the VM
> specified for template updates, which in your case is sys-whonix-14.

a) Are you saying that  booting an  AppVM (maybe with or without qvm-run
) would cause dom0 to check if the template that AppVM is based on for
updates?   ....if dom0 is set to sys-net, doesn't seem to make sense,
unless  the template is being called , perhaps the /qubes.UpdatesProxy
designated netvm is invoked even thought the template doesn't actually
start ?

>> 4) if you are using sys-net for  Deb/Fedora  updates and sys-whonix-14
>> for  -gw -ws  update   could you please  post your  /qubes.UpdatesProxy for
>> me
>
> I'm not, but to do so you would change the FIRST occurrence to read
> "$type:TemplateVM $default allow,target=sys-net". The existing
> "$tag:whonix-updatevm $default allow,target=sys-whonix-14" line means your
> whonix related templates will continue to be updated through
> sys-whonix-14.

b) hmm, maybe there are good reason to leave it as sys-whonix-14 , since
it seems fast enough d/l speed  then