On Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 8:30:42 AM UTC-4, Jakub Fedyczak wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install Qubes 4.0 on external SSD drive on MacBook Pro 13,3.
> Installation boots from USB thumbdrive and works just fine.
>
> After installation with default partitioning and rebooting, mac goes straight
> to blank screen with no logs at all and freezes.
>
> When trying to boot with reFIT there is short message about loading kernel
> and vmlinuz but it goes to blank screen too.
>
> I've checked xen.cfg - not empty, reFIT correctly sees both xen.efi and
> xen*.efi files.
>
> I'll appreciate any help.
>
> --
> jf

It's been a while since I tried getting a Mac running Qubes.  A lot of the
time, the problems with getting Qubes running are the same problems with
getting Linux running on a machine.  You might want to see this article from
Nov 2017:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=mbp2016-linux-wreck&num=1

and this gist (for the comments for that article) detailing various problems
and their solutions in getting your specific model working with Linux:

https://gist.github.com/roadrunner2/1289542a748d9a104e7baec6a92f9cd7

Another thing, at least with a MacBook Air 2012 5 1/2 years ago, I had to
partition things in a particular way to get EFI boot to work -- rEFInd alone
was not enough.  Otherwise, I saw saw something similar -- installer ran, but
Qubes would not boot.  Details of that were posted here (not sure what happened
to the original post, but it can be seen in the followup posts):

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/qubes-devel/uLDYGdKk_Dk/FsnYulsNG50J

I think I have seen Mac users in later years use that to get Qubes booting.  I
would start along those lines first, as digging into other things will likely
be harder.

If you want to remove some of the Qubes-specific variables from this process,
such as the use of virtualization features, maybe start with trying to get
Fedora installed and running first.

Finally, I learned that the ACPI tables are not always 100% correct with the
Macs.  Specifically, I encountered a bug in a ACPI DMAR table that kept Qubes
from using Vt-d.  It would boot, but Vt-d was not enabled:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/qubes-devel/uLDYGdKk_Dk/aV4QncBokooJ

I eventually worked up a hack to get Xen to work around the faulty table to get
Vt-d enabled, but investigating and solving something like that is well outside
of the usual "having trouble getting Linux working on my laptop" types of woes.

Good luck,
Eric