On an old laptop without IOMMU, I tried to install the latest 3.2."alpha-1"
testing ISO image from the quality assurance site.
(btw: how can I verify those image available there? No signature file or
checksums available there as I could find...)

First, at the end of installation, an error occurs about not being able to
start sys-usb, but after restarting the system, that VM also starts without
issue.

The WiFi network works, I can browse through a DisposableVM or Firefox in
the work-VM.

I can also successfully update Whonix-GW and WS.

But when I try to update dom0, add KDE desktop, or the like, I get 3
errors, not sure if the second and third is a consequence of the first or
not.
(tar --help gives output that indicates that tar is actually
installed/working)
(Whonix connects successfully to Tor, which also indicates that the hwclock
should be ok, I think? At least I can see that it seems to be correct.)

>From the terminal output:
***************************
sudo qubes-dom0-update @kde-desktop-qubes
hwclock: Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any known method.
hwclock: Use the --debug option to see the details of our search for an
access method.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/bin/qvm-sync-clock", line 133, in <module>
    main()
  File "/bin/qvm-sync-clock", line 115, in main
    stdout=None if options.verbose else open(os.devnull, 'w'))
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 540, in check_call
    raise CalledProcessError(retcode, cmd)
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['sudo', 'hwclock', '--systohc']'
returned non-zero exit status 70
Using sys-firewall as UpdateVM to download updates for Dom0; this may take
some time...
Running command on VM: 'sys-firewall'...
Running command on VM: 'sys-firewall'...
Running command on VM: 'sys-firewall'...
Running command on VM: 'sys-firewall'...
sh: tar: command not found
Can not read configuration: /var/lib/qubes/dom0-updates/etc/yum.conf ,
ignoring
Unable to detect release version (use '--releasever' to specify release
version)
Can not read configuration: /var/lib/qubes/dom0-updates/etc/yum.conf ,
ignoring
Error: There are no enabled repos.
I wonder if I should re-install without using a sys-usb, but not sure if
there is a problem with that part after the initial restart.

Any pointers as to what could be the issue here?

Regards,