Hi,

This guide is to install an Ubuntu VM, not a template.

I had few little issues with the install so here is how I did it, this may save
some time to others in the future.

1 - create HVM image (documented here https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/hvm/)

Note that I configured 800MB for the memory. You may be able to find smaller
value but 400MB was causing some kernel module to fail to load (probably as
memory balancing doesn't work)

qvm-create my-new-vm --class StandaloneVM --property virt_mode=hvm --property
kernel='' --label=green --property memory=800

2 - boot the VM (same doc page)

qvm-start hyperledger --cdrom=disp1234:/home/user/Download/ubuntu-server.iso

3 - Install Ubuntu

F4 to use the minimal mode

when you reach networking config, the firewall is not very chatty obviously so
it probably does not answer a ping, or whatever test ubuntu installer is doing.
Selected manual to set-up IP/mask (getting info via qubes-manager).

I had to leave the default gateway blank for the install to be able to continue.
This can be fixed latter after reboot by editing /etc/network/interfaces and
adding below broacast: gateway 10.137.x.x

DNS can be set:10.139.1.1 10.139.1.2

you don't need to set a domain name (unless you know you do for your specific
set-up)

Disk partition, I selected guided LVM on the first disk (OS).
Second disk is for private image (leveraged when you use template).

You can leave the http proxy blank (again unless you know you have have, and I
hope you did not put it in the firewallVM as this is a bad practice by the way).

I selected auto install of security updates

Enjoy Qubes-OS.

Alex