On Saturday, September 22, 2018 at 8:45:28 AM UTC-4, awokd wrote:

> >> Try booting recovery mode and recreating your UEFI boot entry with
> >> efibootmgr like
> >> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/qubes-users/3Z52efsCTg0/OI2LiPAMAQAJ.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thank you for responding.  I apologize if I seem like a newbie - this
> > particular problem is not something I've ever faced before.
>
> It's fine, you don't.
>
> > I inserted the Qubes 4.0 installation CD, and noticed that there were two
> > boot options corresponding to my CD Drive.  Both had the CD drive
> > identified by manufacturer, but one was preceded with UEFI while the other
> > was not.  I first tried to boot up with the UEFI version of the drive. It
> > never gave me the option to recover a Qubes installation, it just launched
> > directly into the installer.
>
> I might have steered you wrong on recovery/rescue mode under UEFI.
> Ordinarily you'd edit xen.cfg and change the default there, but that
> won't work in your situation. Can you UEFI boot from a Fedora or Debian
> live image? Both should have efibootmgr.
>
> > efibootmgr -v -c -L Qubes -l /EFI/qubes/xen.efi -d /dev/nvme0n1p1
> >

> > I also noticed that it detected "No NVME device found", so I am not sure if
> > that would alter the command.
>
> Yes, you need to change that /dev to match your system. For a SATA drive
> like your 850 EVO, will be something like:
>
> sudo efibootmgr -v -c -L Qubes -l /EFI/qubes/xen.efi -d /dev/sda -p 1

awokd:

Thank you for the additional suggestions.  I have several drives with the same
issue, so I will attempt your solution on one of them.

I am currently trying to install Qubes 4.0 from scratch on another of my drives
after making absolutely sure the BIOS settings are set to "Legacy" instead of
"UEFI" whenever possible.

With my first attempt at this, I opted not to create the Whonix app VMs and
enable updates over TOR, so I could just restore the backed up versions of
Whonix 14 from before the system failed to boot.  Turns out that was a bad
decision, as it caused dom0 to be unable to download updates and would not let
me restore the templates.

I had to start the fresh install all over again, but this time when I was
destroying the old partitions and have Qubes re-partition automatically, I
noticed a difference with the setup.  Instead of /dev/sda1 being an EFI
partition, now it was set up as an ext4 partition.  Perhaps that's what I
needed to do all along.

I will let you know how this goes, as well as your additional suggestion on
another disk. It may be a while. :)

Thanks again!