On 09/22/2018 11:01 AM, Chris Laprise wrote:
On 09/22/2018 05:01 AM, lik...@gmx.de wrote:
On 21/09/2018 23:43, Chris Laprise wrote:
On 09/21/2018 05:30 PM, Chris Laprise wrote:
On 09/21/2018 05:10 PM, liked2-mmb7mzph...@public.gmane.org wrote:
Hi,

there are several topics in the documentation pointing to the location of files like: root.img, volatile.img, private.img
here:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/hvm/
or here:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/windows-template-customization/
or here:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/reinstall-template/

All of them are refering to a location of these file to: /var/lib/qubes/{appvms,vm-templates}/MY_VM/

Unfortunately, as of version 4.0 I cannot find these files there. Where did they moved to?

The R4.0 default is to use thin-provisioned lvm for storage instead of image files. You can think of these "logical volumes" as being like partitions and they have device entries under /dev/mapper. To view and manipulate them directly you'll need to use lvm commands like "lvs" and "lvrename" etc. although its best to first try using the qvm-* commands like "qvm-volume".

To be a bit more specific, a Qubes AppVM called "work" within this lvm system will boot from an lvm volume named "vm-work-root-snap". This is because Qubes takes a read-only snapshot of the template root when the AppVM is started.

Thanks a lot Chris. With this explanation, does the stripping still makes sense documented here:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/windows-template-customization/
mentioned in the last paragraphs?

I could even think that's even counterproductive, because when the space is filled with zeros, the volume size will be increased. Is there a possibility to strip this space or should we ad a remark to the documentation, that it's not reasonable to do so as of R4.0?

This depends on whether Windows is configured to use TRIM/discard on its disks. I don't recall what the default is for various versions of Windows, but there is an easy way to tell... if Qube Manager shows the disk usage for the template going down as you remove stuff then you don't need to do anything. Otherwise, I suggest following Microsoft instructions for enabling TRIM.

If you still want to duplicate the kind of wipe+sparse copy the Qubes doc recommends (i.e. if you removed a lot of stuff _before_ TRIM was enabled), its possible to do this using lvm commands and 'dd conv=sparse'... but you need to familiarize with Linux lvm first.

Also should mention the 'fallocate' command. It has a way to deallocate zero blocks in-place so you probably won't need to use issue lvm commands directly:

sudo fallocate --dig-holes /dev/mapper/qubes_dom0-vm--untrusted--private

This method can also be used on .img files (for Qubes installations that use them).

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket