> Going beyond that, antivirus is an option. One way to run it is from a dispVM
> to which you attach various private volumes (one at a time) for scanning.

An implementation of a similar idea across several VMs is:

VM1: any TemplateVM with clamav installed.

VM2: AppVM based on above, which is network-connected so it can download new
virus definitions. /var/lib/clamav contains the virus definitions so make it a
bind-dir.

VM3: DisposableVM based on the above, which is offline, that does the actual
scanning. To scan a VM, use qvm-block to attach a VM's private volume to the
disposable VM.[1]

The actual updating and scanning can be streamlined using shell scripts run
from dom0.

I think the nice properties of this setup are:
* distro-packaged, open source antivirus* antivirus lives outside the VM you
are scanning
* since the antivirus processes a lot of untrusted input, scans are done from a
disposable VM3, so if it is compromised in the course of a scan, only that
session is compromised* since the antivirus may process a lot of sensitive
information, VM3 is also offline, making it harder for compromised antivirus to
exfiltrate anything.
[1]To make a DisposableVM have different NetVM than its template, you can use
for VM3 the static DisposableVM created by `qvm-create --class DisposableVM
--template VM2 ...`, it can have the specific NetVM setting of None, different
from their template.