Teqleez Motley:
Hi all, I suspect that I need to change the "Main Qubes update repository"
of templateVMs that originates from Qubes 3.x?

I have exported both templateVMs and stand-alone appVMs from 3.2,
and restored them seemingly successfully on 4.x as far as the
backup/restore process is concerned.

Now, I can actually run updates from the Qubes Manager (GUI) on both the
templateVMs and the stand-alone appVM, but I cannot open any windows from
them.
Cannot even open terminal in the templateVM. When trying, nothing happens
other than the VM is started and showing green status, and remains open
until I shut it down from the Qubes Manager.

I think that the file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/qubes-r3.list needs to be
updated/replaced.
I can see in the terminal window that appears briefly during updates (it
closes afterwards, and is not possible to edit/enter), that it queries

"http://deb.qubes-os.org/r3.2/vm stretch main"

, which I would assume is not the correct one when running that templateVM
on 4.x, right?

So; Is there a dom0 command that can fix this on a running templateVM
without having a native Terminal?

There are multiple steps to using 3.2 templates on 4.0. You found a couple of them, but see https://github.com/Qubes-Community/Contents/blob/master/docs/system/restore-3.2.md for some more.