Kelly Dean wrote on 10/17/18 6:00 PM:
On Qubes 4.0, I did a full backup to an external hard drive using the standard
backup utility, which completed successfully. 225GB total, compressed 130GB,
took about 12 hours.

Then I tried to verify it (restore with verify-only option), and watched it for
a few minutes to make sure it was running ok, then left it alone. Last line in
the message window at the time was:
Extracting data: 209.6 GiB to restore

Came back a few hours later and the next line was:
Finished with errors!

And there was a dialog box:

[Dom0] Backup error!
ERROR: failed to decrypt
/var/tmp/restorexnuw0a8p/vm31/private.img.034.enc: b'scrypt:
Decrypting file would take too much CPU time\n'
Partially restored files left in /var/tmp/restore_*, investigate them
and/or clean them up
OK

So now I don't know if I have a good backup. The error message also leaves me
doubtful that I'd be able to restore the backup even if it is good.

The indicated file doesn't exist in dom0. Neither does any other
/var/tmp/restore* file. Googling the message (Decrypting file would take too
much CPU time) finds nothing.

Looks like that error string comes from scrypt. There is a command line option (-f) to scrypt that forces it to proceed even if it might take excessive memory or CPU time, but I'm not sure how to pass it on through qubes-backup-restore.