On Wednesday, October 17, 2018 at 4:44:10 PM UTC+1, unman wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 03:51:57AM -0700, Foppe de Haan wrote:
> > (Note that I'm using BTRFS.)
> >
> > When I try to mount the data volume using a Fedora 29b live image, I get
> > "can't read superblock on
> > /dev/mapper/luks-5047683c-2a3f-463d-8538-53701743acca."
> >
> Ah, OK hadn't realised that.
> Is there a specific error message - if it was included in that image you
> attached can you tell me what it was?
>
> If there is a specific BTRFS error have you tried repairing the file
> system? Look at the manpage for btrfs-check.
> There are some dangerous options to try if all else fails:
> 'btrfs check --repair' often does what it says.
> If that doesn't work or you have a tree error, then you could try 'btrfs
> check --init-extent-tree'. I've sometimes doubled on that and recovered
> access. ymmv.
> (If you have a cloned disk you will feel much happier about trying out
> these "dangerous" options, of course.)
>
> unman

Thank you for the advice. I managed to recover 1 private image, the rest was
salvageable, for whatever reason. (Even VMs that hadn't been started for days,
so there must've been another issue than the one I mentioned; because if not,
the only other conclusion I see is that btrfs is bizarrely fragile.)