Bertrand Lec wrote on 10/31/18 11:55 AM:
Le mercredi 31 octobre 2018 12:35:27 UTC+1, awokd a écrit :
tfm853 via qubes-users wrote on 10/30/18 8:30 PM:
I'm trying to use a C920 USB camera on a Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6gen, latest
Qubes4. The VM is running debian-9, but i also tried fedora-26. I tried both
connecting the camera directly to a USB port of the Thinkpad and via a powered
USB hub.

Qubes shows the device as still being attached to the VM. I can detach and
reattach without problems.

Forwarding the Thinkpad's internal camera works fine.

Are failures with particular USB devices to be expected? Does anyone know a
good external webcam that works?

Yes, some devices don't work well through redirect. If you have a spare
USB controller (not in use for your mouse & keyboard) you can assign it
directly to the VM and then connect the webcam, but you lose isolation
between that controller and the VM.

Do you have an idea of _why_ some devices do not work well though redirect? I
have the same problem with a network interface from a docking station.

My guess is only some USB commands are making it through and devices that use more obscure ones run into problems. I'm no developer, though. Webcams in particular have been an issue for a while:

Didn't list them all. Does your docking station NIC show up as a USB device? If not, it's a different issue.