On Wed, Nov 07, 2018 at 08:14:23PM -0800, Ryan Tate wrote:
> I don't know what is going on with 4.0.1 but suddenly my machine is haywire.
>
> The latest is everything above and below the VMs is gone from the Qubes menu.
> The bottom of the menu where I'd go to shut down just says "No applications
> found." The top where I would go to find settings, Qubes Manager, even the
> dom0 Terminal is just gone. So I don't even know how to debug. I've rebooting
> several times, it keeps happening.
>
> I know Qubes is fairly high maintenance but I had a nice groove going with
> qubes 4 finally. Whatever updates you are pushing down with 4.0.1 updates are
> breaking my workflow left and right. First whonix got borked now the Qubes
> menu is broken. I shudder to think what will be next to fail. This is
> frustrating. Some of us are actually trying to get work done in the OS.

Hi Ryan

Are you using Xfce? (The default desktop environment in Qubes)

Had you made any changes to the menu system?
Can you check the contents of /etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu to
make sure you still have a Menu item for System Tools. If you're not
sure just post the contents here.

There was a problem in the past with .desktop files disappearing.
can you make sure that you have .desktop files in
/usr/share/applications ?

unman